PhaST – Scholastic aptitude test for pharmacy studies in Germany
Welcome to PhaST
With the PhaST, we measure skills that are relevant for the successful completion of a degree in Pharmacy:
- The ability to concentrate even under time pressure
- Ability to work precisely even under time pressure
- Ability to deal with complex rules
- Understanding of structural formulas
- Memory and ability to link information from different presentation modes
- Observational and perceptive faculty
- Ability to understand factual texts
- Reasoning and combinatorial thinking
- Spatial ability
- Ability to concretise, experiment, classify
- Analytical mathematical ability
- School knowledge of mathematics, physics, biology and chemistry
We recommend that you register using a notebook or desktop PC!
The PhaST consists of the eleven (German language) task groups:
- Arbeitspräzision und Konzentration
- Verständnis und Anwendung komplexer Regeln
- Verknüpfung komplexer Daten
- Räumliches Denken
- Qualitative Stoffanalyse
- Interpretieren naturwissenschaftlicher Abbildungen und Tabellen
- Analyse quantitativer Zusammenhänge
- Mathematik und Physik
Test duration: approx. 4 hours
Participation fee: 75 euros, terms of business
News about PhaST
First-semester students at the University of Tübingen took the first test version of the PhaST in October 2019. As a
PhaST is Currently used for the following programmes:
- University of Freiburg
- University of Tübingen
- University of Frankfurt
- University of Heidelberg
- Saarland University
If you would like to change your registration (e.g. other date, other test location), please contact the support for participants. Please note: Reregistration is only possible within the registration phase and only for offers where there are still free places. There is no waiting list.
You will receive the results for all dates in the first half of the year (24.04., 29.05., 26.06.) in time for an application to Hochschulstart by 15.07.2021.
In addition to the information brochure and the information on preparation, you can also prepare yourself with material on similar aptitude tests such as the Test for Medical Studies (TMS) [insert link, which is now behind the “Here” button see below]. However, we do not directly recommend the use of this material here. While there may be overlaps in requirements between different tests and you may feel better because you have done more to prepare, practising a “wrong” task format may also hinder you when working on tasks in the “real” task format of the PhaST. Apparently similar tasks do not necessarily measure the same requirement in the same form.
If you want to prepare yourself with “non-test” material, in our view the best test to use is the Test for Medical Studies (TMS) and especially the task groups „Quantitative und formale Probleme“, „Textverständnis“ und „Diagramme und Tabellen“. These have the greatest overlap with task groups of the PhaST.
A demo test is currently being planned. We cannot yet say when this will be available.